Can I receive tax credits for my energy efficiency improvements?

Yes you can. Follow this LINK for more information.


Why is my bill so high?

There are many reasons for increases in electric use. These include weather, days in the reading period, visitors and holidays. You can use the Home Energy Advisor to investigate your electric use.


How do I apply for service?

You can call the office at 1-800-352-0014 M-F, 7:00 AM-3:30 PM. You can also visit the office during the same hours. Find more information HERE.


What is a cooperative?

A cooperative is a form of business owned by the people it serves. A cooperative operates under the Seven Cooperative Principles.


How much will it cost to run electric to my new house?

Residential new services are allowed 250 feet at no charge. Additional primary or secondary is at $16 per foot.


When you control, does it shut my hot water tank completely off?

The electricity to your water heater is interrupted, but you can still use the stored hot water as you wish. Click here for more information.


How can I get help on my bill?

Contact Member Services for assistance at 1-800-352-0014 or check with local assistance agencies for available help.


Where is your office located?

The office is located on Route 86 one mile south of Cambridge Springs.


How can I pay my bill?

There are numerous ways to pay your bill. Click here for options.

For more information, call us during regular business hours at 1-800-352-0014, or email us anytime.